Amanda-Users

Re: How does the amanda server identify itself to clients?

2004-02-06 14:45:18
Subject: Re: How does the amanda server identify itself to clients?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:43:00 -0500

I'm glad you said that. :)

> [...]

Michael, it seems you may have a reticence to recompile attacking your
psych.

To help with that, and as I build each version within hours of its
release, I use a script that solidifies the config so it never
changes, like this, modify to suit of course since I have a small
changer:
----
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda :( ...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

make
----

So all you have to do once this script has run is to become root, cd
to the src dir and "make install".  The amcheck becomes your error
checker, ignore the warnings and fix the errors.  The warnings will
be fixed when amdump runs.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: