Amanda-Users

Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?

2004-02-08 18:40:46
Subject: Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 18:31:13 -0500
On Sunday 08 February 2004 08:57, stan wrote:
[...]
>Well, I did, but it does have the problem of not having the 3rd
> token in the DLE (before the "{" so amchekc complains about
> duplicates

Humm, I'll have to re-read that part, I'm confused.  Not the first
time mind you :)

Checking my own disklist, which has some obsolete cruft in it,
commented out, the ones I was using for a while do not have that 3rd
specifier in front of the {.  And they worked just fine.  However, I
noted in passing by, that the supplied examples in the list do use
it, possibly as an alias or something. :(

Needs more study by me.

>Jon's sollution worked great on last nights run, so I think I'll
> just stick with it. Having to specify the disk by filesystem
> instead of device name actully makes more sense to me in a tar
> based backup.
>
>So I take it your TV station got flooded? Where is it located?
> Sounds like a challenge.

No thats metaphorical, (check the spelling, I probably blew it
somewhere there) and goes back to the year 1977, when I got my first
job that had a "Chief Engineer" signs on the doors to my office.

KIVA-TV was market 205 out of 206 then, and I'd hit them up for a
sizeable life policy as part of the deal, so eventually New York Life
sent a couple of paramedics around to take my vital signs and make
sure I was breathing well enough to be insureable for $50k.  They got
all thru with the usual stuff, and finally one of them asked me to
take off my shoes.

Being a bit flat footed, and in a jovial mood, I asked "Now just what
the hell did my flat feet have to do with this?"

His reply was that it wasn't related, but he'd heard I could "walk on
water" (I had probably impressed somebody by fixing something they
expected to have to replace, and made it look as if it really was
that simple to fix)  and he "wanted to see if they were at least
webbed..."

He said it with a straight face, which I studied for reactions for
maybe 2 seconds before I was ROTFLMAO.  I mean there was a truely
long pause between breaths there, but when I did move, I couldn't
help it.  They must have heard me whooping half a block away at
least.

Anyway, thats the source of that saying. :-)  I lasted 2 years there
before I'd had all of it (80 hour weeks) I could stand, and walked
from 10 grand worth of raises I never asked for in that 2 years.

The first of several final straws was rebuilding a cavity in that old
GE box, which with power screwdrivers is still about a 30 hour job
(hundreds of 8-32 screws, some in truely in-accessable places), &
needs about 28 or 30 each 52 ohm 2 watt carbon resistors replaced
internal to the tube socket (6166/7007A tube), and no one offered to
go get a pizza and a coke for me in that 36 hours (no power
screwdriver).  Fortunately they did have an electric hot plate, which
is what you need for soldering gross quantities of those things
simultainiously.

Finishing it up and getting it back on the air about 10am the next
day, I went by McD's and dropped enough $ for about 3 BM's & a fry,
went home and put 2 beers on top of the Big Macs and crawled into
bed, fully expecting to be able to sleep the rest of the day till the
kids came in from school.

Now, having started to tell this story, I have to relate the rest of
the day.

An hour later the whole trailer feels like its being attacked with a
battering ram.  I roll over, push the screen out just enough to see a
couple of witnesses standing on the step beating on the door rather
firmly.  I rolled the other way, picked up Bertha, my 30-06, and my
glasses and went to the door in my birthday suit & glasses carrying
Bertha.  Opening the door, I racked a shell into it just for effects
but kept it pointed down.

It did have the desireable effect, 15 feet out from the step they were
up to around 40 mph, 3 feet up in the air, and I swear they were
still climbing.  Probably an optical illusion though.

I never had another visit from them and I can't figure out why.  I
half expected the law to come around but it was never mentioned by
anybody.

Yeah, I can be a bit radical when radical actions are called for. :-)
At that point, I really didn't care what anybody else thought, I was
tired clear thru and I fully intended to get some peacefull sleep.

When I say I've been there, and done that, its true.  I did that.
Guilty...

And now that I've entertained the whole group with one day in the life
of Gene Heskett from 25 years back up the log, how was your day?
:-)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: