Amanda-Users

Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?

2004-02-07 19:47:10
Subject: Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:42:20 -0500
On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 05:50:58PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 05:05:49PM -0500, stan wrote:
>
> [ edited ]
> >
> > OK, I've comletly broken it at this point in time :-(
> >
> > To answer you specific question:
> >
> > $ amcheck DailyDump
> > ERROR: black: [Can't open disk 'ad2s1e']
> > ERROR: black: [No include for 'ads2e/ak']
> > ERROR: black: [Can't open disk 'ad1s1e']
> > ERROR: black: [No include for 'ads1e/ak']
> >

> > and here's the disks on that machine:
> >
> > $ df
> > Filesystem        Mounted on
> > /dev/ad1s1e       /usr/local/www/data/WAVS
> > /dev/ad2s1e       /usr/local/www/data/MUSIC
> >
> > and gere are teh premissions on one of them:
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/ad2s1e
> > crw-r-----  2 root  operator  116, 0x00020014 Jan 18 15:12 /dev/ad2s1e
> >
> > Yes, Amanda is a ember of the group operator.
> >
> > Here's teh dumptype def:
> >
> > define dumptype user-tar-no-compress {
> >     program "GNUTAR"
> >     compress none
> >     priority medium
> > }
>
> OK, you are using tar which works at the file and directory level,
> not at the device level.  I think you could have specified
> /dev/ad1s1e and /dev/ad2s1e and amanda would have figured out
> what the mount point was from the /etc/fstab file or some such.
>
> However, why work with devices?  Why not the directory names?
>

> > Here is what I have in the disklist:
> >

>  black WAVS-kz /usr/local/www/data/WAVS {
>          user-tar-no-compress
>               include "./[!A-K]*"
>               } 2 local
>  black WAVS-ak /usr/local/www/data/WAVS {
>               user-tar-no-compress
>               include "./[A-K]*"
>               } 2 local
>
> Wouldn't that be more readable?

And it would make a lot more sense :-( orry, sometimes I fall into the trap
of thinking the problem is in an areas I don't understand, when the problem
is stareing me in the face in a place I should understand.

Thansk for the help. amcheck is happy with this, and I've already run 2
extra "daily" backups today in an atempt to get this working. I'll just
wait for the normal nightly run, and see waht happens.

I expect this to work, though. Thansk to everyone who have been so patient
with me on this.

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin