Amanda-Users

[Fwd: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )]

2004-01-19 12:08:31
Subject: [Fwd: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )]
From: Eugen Leitl <el AT infochem DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:03:05 +0100

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:28:22 +0100
From: Eugen Leitl <el AT infochem DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org

I've started looking for DDS4 DAT devices, as DDS3 seems to be tight.

The local vendor has the following, amongst the others.

IBM Tape 20/40GB DDS4 4mm Int. Drive - "R" ~670 EUR
DAT HP DDS4 Trade Ready 40x6i 120-240GB int. Autoloader ~1160 EUR (this is a 6x
tape library)
FSC DAT Band-LW DAT DDS4 20GB 2.8MB/s for OBDR - "R" ~730 EUR
DAT Sony SDT11000 DDS4 20-40GB int 5,25" OEM sans Software, sans Medium ~520 EUR

Given that the 6x tape library is only 2x the price of a vanilla DDS4
DAT drive, I'm thinking about buying it. Any (positive, negative) experience
with the DAT HP DDS4 Trade Ready 40x6i 120-240GB int. Autoloader thingy,
under SPARC Solaris and/or x86 Linux?

If I want to use this with a Solaris box, I need
to probe-scsi-all in OpenBoot, define device aliases and
create according /dev entries (or are those already present
aliased to according devices?), and run an amanda tape probe
on according (nonrewinding, noncompressing) device alias,
right?

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Eugen Leitl