Amanda-Users

Re: [Fwd: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )]

2004-01-20 02:50:26
Subject: Re: [Fwd: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )]
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:46:51 -0500
On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 06:03:05PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> [...]

For their DDS2 and DDS3 changer models HP used what seems to be the
same mechanism.  I think I saw an add for DDS4 magazines (to hold the
6 tapes) and it said they were compatible with the DDS3 changer.

If the mechanism is the same, it should certainly be reliable.

HP also has good docs, some supplementary that you might have to
get PDF's from their website.  One in particular is how to set up
the scsi interface.  They give detail for about 8 flavors of unix,
including Solaris, each with different DIP switchs for option setting.
For Solaris they also give values to enter into the st.conf file in
/kernel/drv.  This is a standard editing job, but you must be very
precise in punctuation and in some places even quoted spaces.

Also, if you want your changer to appear separate from your tape drive,
you may have to unquote some higher LUN entries in st.conf.  With my
DDS3 HP changer, the drive appears as Scsi ID 5, LUN 0 and teh changer
the same Scsi ID 5, but LUN 1.  They are linked to /dev/rmt/0 and 1.

After that it is do a reconfigure reboot.  I.e. "touch /reconfigure"
and reboot, or upon a normal reboot, interupt it and give the -r option
to the boot loader.

Most likely, without a reboot, you could get away with doing a
devfsadm command to scan the devices again and created needed /dev entries.

Alternatively, check the mailing list archives for how to use the "sgen"
driver (scsi general).  This will give a different device name, more
logical, something like /dev/scsi/changer/0.  I have both and they both
work for me.

If you are replacing an existing tape you already have some /dev/rmt/XXX
devices (actually symbolic links to the devices).  Note even if that drive
is not hooked up, when the system sees the new drive, it will use the next
number for the /dev/rmt entries.  If you want it to start over fresh from
0 again, you will have to rm /dev/rmt/* before doing the reboot or devfsadm.

BTW if the drive being offered is really a Compaq developed model, rebadged
because of the buyout of Compaq by HP, then I know nothing.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)