Amanda-Users

Re: [Fwd: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )]

2004-01-19 12:22:32
Subject: Re: [Fwd: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )]
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: el AT infochem DOT de, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:20:25 -0500
From: Eugen Leitl <el AT infochem DOT de>
>To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
>
>I've started looking for DDS4 DAT devices, as DDS3 seems to be
> tight.
>
>The local vendor has the following, amongst the others.
>
>IBM Tape 20/40GB DDS4 4mm Int. Drive - "R" ~670 EUR
>DAT HP DDS4 Trade Ready 40x6i 120-240GB int. Autoloader ~1160 EUR
> (this is a 6x tape library) FSC DAT Band-LW DAT DDS4 20GB 2.8MB/s
> for OBDR - "R" ~730 EUR DAT Sony SDT11000 DDS4 20-40GB int 5,25"
> OEM sans Software, sans Medium ~520 EUR
>
>Given that the 6x tape library is only 2x the price of a vanilla
> DDS4 DAT drive, I'm thinking about buying it. Any (positive,
> negative) experience with the DAT HP DDS4 Trade Ready 40x6i
> 120-240GB int. Autoloader thingy, under SPARC Solaris and/or x86
> Linux?
>
>If I want to use this with a Solaris box, I need
>to probe-scsi-all in OpenBoot, define device aliases and
>create according /dev entries (or are those already present
>aliased to according devices?), and run an amanda tape probe
>on according (nonrewinding, noncompressing) device alias,
>right?
>
>Am I missing something?

Not that I can think of off hand. And while my DDS2 changer is a
Seagate, I've not heard anybody bad mouthing the HP's either (unless
it was a travan & we won't go there as nobody's travan is worth
dropping the card for.)

>Thanks,
>Eugen Leitl

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: