Amanda-Users

Re: [Fwd: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )]

2004-01-20 07:34:01
Subject: Re: [Fwd: DDS4 DAT tape drives ( autoloaders / libraries )]
From: Stefan Hackenthal <sh AT aldebaran DOT de>
To: Eugen Leitl <el AT infochem DOT de>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:30:39 +0100
Hello Eugen,

EL> Given that the 6x tape library is only 2x the price of a vanilla DDS4
EL> DAT drive, I'm thinking about buying it. Any (positive, negative) experience
EL> with the DAT HP DDS4 Trade Ready 40x6i 120-240GB int. Autoloader thingy,
EL> under SPARC Solaris and/or x86 Linux?

We just have installed the HP drive at a client running Linux (Suse)
and it is working successfully.

The only caveat I can think of is more organisatorical: if you use a
6 tape changer it is quite easy for us lazy persons to leave the tapes
in there for a longer time. In case of a complete loss (fire or theft)
you may loose more than the last backup.
The elegance of a single tape drive is that you definitely change
tapes every (working) day.

--
Greetings
Stefan Hackenthal            sh AT aldebaran DOT de