Amanda-Users

Re: 2GB filesize limit?

2004-01-15 10:54:17
Subject: Re: 2GB filesize limit?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:52:53 -0500
On Thursday 15 January 2004 05:27, Toomas Aas wrote:
>> From:          Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
>> Date:          Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:25:54 -0500
>>
>> On Wednesday 14 January 2004 17:42, William S. Bear wrote:
>> >I'm trying to use Amanda to backup to disk (4TB RAID) using the
>> > tapeless config from the FAQ.  Dumps of the file systems are
>> > well over 100GB, but Amanda appears to die with the following
>> > error once the dump reaches 2GB:
>>
>> There is, or should be, a variable named chunksize within the
>> amanda.conf holding disk description.  If not there, you'll need
>> it,
>
>Note that this parameter relates to holding disk, not the actual
> backup image when backing up to hard disk.

Sorry Toomas, I thought that was a given that most understood.

>I'm sure this is not a hard-coded limitation of Amanda. I
> successfully back up a 16 GB DLE to hard disk and I've never had
> any errors. The backup image is stored as one 16 GB file.
>
>> As you can see above the chunksize is set for 1Gb.  Now on my
>> system, that would not be required, but there are still in use,
>> filesystems which have file size limits of less than infinitity,
>> typically 2GB,
>
>I don't think this is the problem here, since William said he can
>create >2 GB files with dd and dump.

Yes, that bit of incongruity bothered me too.  And it got real curious
when I realized he was writing to disk, so if he had the problem in
the holdng disk he really, really should have had the same problem
with the virtual tapes too since they use the same filesystem.  I hit
the send button somewhat confused, but thinking there might be a
usefull clue someplace in my ramblings.

>The most likely suspect to me seems to be the tapetype definition.
>What's the length set to in the tapetype? If backing up to hard
> disk, Amanda is said to "emulate" end of tape when hitting the
> limit set in tapetype. Maybe 2 GB is the default when no limit is
> set?

That I don't know, but a peruse of the code should answer that handily
enough.  Something I don't have time for this morning as I'm in the
middle of a new vinyl on the kitchen floor, fresh 1/4 round etc.

--
Cheers Toomas, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,