Amanda-Users

Re: 2GB filesize limit?

2004-01-14 19:28:53
Subject: Re: 2GB filesize limit?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "William S. Bear" <bear AT math.umn DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:25:54 -0500
On Wednesday 14 January 2004 17:42, William S. Bear wrote:
>I'm trying to use Amanda to backup to disk (4TB RAID) using the
> tapeless config from the FAQ.  Dumps of the file systems are well
> over 100GB, but Amanda appears to die with the following error once
> the dump reaches 2GB:
>
>ERROR taper no-tape [[writing file: short write]]
>FAIL driver xxx.xxx.xxx.edu /dev/sdb1 20040114 0 [dump to tape
>failed]
>FINISH driver date 20040114 time 138.900
>
>I'm able to create files larger than 2GB using dd and various other
>utilities.  I can manually dump filesystems greater than 2GB
> directly to the disk without issue.
>
>After looking at the source, I noticed there is special code in
> Amanda to handle these large file writes.
>
>Has anyone experienced this problem before?  I've googled, and
> haven't found much on the topic.  Any information would be helpful.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Will

There is, or should be, a variable named chunksize within the
amanda.conf holding disk description.  If not there, you'll need it,
set like this:
---
    chunksize 1Gb       # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
                        #             The maximum value should be
                        #             (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
                        #  0          same as INT_MAX bytes
---

There is another variable associated with the holding disk which is
discussed here:
---
# If amanda cannot find a tape on which to store backups, it will run
# as many backups as it can to the holding disks.  In order to save
# space for unattended backups, by default, amanda will only perform
# incremental backups in this case, i.e., it will reserve 100% of the
# holding disk space for the so-called degraded mode backups.
# However, if you specify a different value for the `reserve'
# parameter, amanda will not degrade backups if they will fit in the
# non-reserved portion of the holding disk.
---

Re: chunksize
As you can see above the chunksize is set for 1Gb.  Now on my system,
that would not be required, but there are still in use, filesystems
which have file size limits of less than infinitity, typically 2GB,
so what actually happens is that when this defined chunksize limit is
hit, the original file is closed with a suffix .0, and a new file
whose suffix is .1 will be opened.  This can continue for several
more 'chunks' if needed.  But, this does not count on the tape, and
if all chunks of a file will not fit on a tape, then it is still
going to fail just as if it was a single file.  One cannot use a
small chunksize to span one DLE across more than 1 tape.

Now, all that said, there many good reasons to update your installed
OS if this is in fact the problem.  Linux has had this limit removed
for over 2 years now, but, you didn't say what OS you were running,
so I cannot get any more specific that this.  However, I see you are
using a tapeless configuration, so the filesize limits inherent in
the filesystem will probably apply to the RAID also.  And to me, this
is what this almost smells like.

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: