Amanda-Users

Re: 2GB filesize limit?

2004-01-15 05:28:22
Subject: Re: 2GB filesize limit?
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:27:03 +0200
> From:          Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
> Date:          Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:25:54 -0500

> On Wednesday 14 January 2004 17:42, William S. Bear wrote:
> >I'm trying to use Amanda to backup to disk (4TB RAID) using the
> > tapeless config from the FAQ.  Dumps of the file systems are well
> > over 100GB, but Amanda appears to die with the following error once
> > the dump reaches 2GB:

> There is, or should be, a variable named chunksize within the
> amanda.conf holding disk description.  If not there, you'll need it,

Note that this parameter relates to holding disk, not the actual backup
image when backing up to hard disk.

I'm sure this is not a hard-coded limitation of Amanda. I successfully
back up a 16 GB DLE to hard disk and I've never had any errors. The
backup image is stored as one 16 GB file.

> As you can see above the chunksize is set for 1Gb.  Now on my system,
> that would not be required, but there are still in use, filesystems
> which have file size limits of less than infinitity, typically 2GB,

I don't think this is the problem here, since William said he can
create >2 GB files with dd and dump.

The most likely suspect to me seems to be the tapetype definition.
What's the length set to in the tapetype? If backing up to hard disk,
Amanda is said to "emulate" end of tape when hitting the limit set in
tapetype. Maybe 2 GB is the default when no limit is set?
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* No problem is so big that it can't be run away from.