Amanda-Users

Re: Samba backups failing after a specific amount of data

2004-01-15 09:44:51
Subject: Re: Samba backups failing after a specific amount of data
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:43:51 +0100
Hi, Fran,

on Donnerstag, 15. Jänner 2004 at 14:41 you wrote to amanda-users:

>>You could also test if your backup works with "security = share" if
>>your setup allows.

FF> Good idea, just tried it, failed at the same spot.  This is seeming more
FF> and more like a bug and less like a configuration issue.  Maybe I should
FF> post to samba-technical....

Just wait for answers on the samba-list. The developers read that
stuff and will answer ...

>>763534336 bytes are ~765 GB ?
>
> No, that's MB.  I think that's a reasonable amount of data for a backup, I
> need it to be able to do at least 50GB or so per DLE.  The /home I'm trying
> to backup contains 200GB of data, so I can't break it down too much for
> sanity's sake.

Ok. So it fails after 765 MB ... not very good for a backup-machine ;)

>>Exact versions of Samba, AMANDA, [global]-part of smb.conf, etc ...

> [global]
> realm = ciswinnet.cis.uab.edu
> workgroup=CISWINNET
> security = ADS # tried DOMAIN too, same results

Do you HAVE to use ADS on your Samba-box?
If you only need Samba to access the shares for AMANDA-backup, I would
consider this:

[global]
workgroup=CISWINNET
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes

Just a plain stand-alone Samba-setup. I assume the problem lies in the
"client spnego"-parameter.

>From the smb.conf-manpage:

######

client use spnego (G)

This variable controls controls whether samba clients will try to use
Simple and Protected NEGOciation (as specified by rfc2478) with WindowsXP
and Windows2000 servers to agree upon an authentication mechanism.
SPNEGO client support for SMB Signing is currently broken, so you might
want to turn this option off when operating with Windows 2003 domain
controllers in particular.

Default: client use spnego = yes

######

Ok? Give it a try ...