Amanda-Users

Configuring Amanda for Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT changer

2003-12-21 18:12:55
Subject: Configuring Amanda for Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT changer
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:09:47 -0600

I am attempting to configure Amanda to run on our Qualstar SAIT changer, and I have a few questions...

1. lt-amtapetype. I couldn't find any tapetype info for SAIT tapes in the config file, mailing list archives or via googling so I resorted to running the amtapetype script. I turned off hardware compression with the mt command, and then started the script. That was 25 hours ago. Soon after starting it reported that it took 39 seconds to write 1024 MB. So, 39 seconds/gig, 500gigs uncompressed capacity, should be right around 19500 seconds, or 5.4 hours. I understand that what the script does is write to the entire tape twice. So, 11 hours for the operation. 25 hours later, it's still going, and by the latest output, had only completed 182gigs thus far. Am I doing something wrong? The drive advertises 30MB/second, which I realize is an optimal number, but the initial output from amtapetype indicated 26MB/second (derived from the 1024MB/39seconds). So that seemed like it was working correctly, only to find it now taking so long.

2. Does anyone have a sample of a config file for a changer, more preferably a Qualstar changer, and if I'm lucky enough that someone else has the 5433, that'd be excellent. :-) But I'm a newbie to this all (controlling SCSI tape devices from linux AND tape changers AND amanda...if only one was new, I wouldn't feel as overwhelmed as I do at present). I'm working my way through the install doc and the tape.changer doc, but still feeling a bit fuzzy/unsure, so a sample config or two would be excellent.

Thanks!

-Fran