Amanda-Users

Re: Rackable IDE-RAID1 Harddisk Backup System

2003-11-13 10:27:42
Subject: Re: Rackable IDE-RAID1 Harddisk Backup System
From: Murf <jam AT philabs.research.philips DOT com>
To: "R.M. Evers" <amanda AT hbh-it DOT nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:25:30 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, R.M. Evers wrote:

> not too far from now, we are going to move all our servers to a
> datacenter, which made me decide to buy a brand new rackable
> hot-swappable ide-raid1 system to do the backups. debian is my OS of
> choice. my questions are directed to those who have any experience with
> this kind of setup. so, it boils down to this:
>
> - is amanda easy to configure to dump to harddisk instead of tapes?
> - is there some kind of 'ready-to-go' rackable hot-swappable ide-raid
>   server i can buy (ide-raid compatible with linux, of course..)?

Had a good experience with Silicon Mechanics,
        http://www.siliconmechanics.com

We got their SM-416R server and its held up well so far (~6 months).  They
were willing to configure it to our specifications including adding the
SGI xfs filesystem to Redhat 9, but I think they'll put any distribution
on there.  I'd recommend asking for xfs, its better for large filesystems.
Cost was about $10K for around 3TB of storage.

Murf
--
John Murphy, better known as Erin's & Kevin's dad    http://remarque.org/~jam
John.Murphy AT philips DOT com       One one-trillionith of a surprise: picoboo