Amanda-Users

Re: Rackable IDE-RAID1 Harddisk Backup System

2003-11-13 11:23:20
Subject: Re: Rackable IDE-RAID1 Harddisk Backup System
From: "Alex J. Avriette" <alex AT posixnap DOT net>
To: "R.M. Evers" <amanda AT hbh-it DOT nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:13:43 -0500
On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:42:04AM +0100, R.M. Evers wrote:

> we are running a small ISP, and i've been using amanda for backups for
> quite a while now and never ran into trouble. it really is a fantastic
> backup system. backup media has been dds tapes.

I've used DDS3 for backups. It is convenient, but kind of suboptimal for
storage quantities greater than 200gb per machine. We used an HP 6-tape
autoloader. Sun OEM's this, I'm not sure who else does.

> not too far from now, we are going to move all our servers to a
> datacenter, which made me decide to buy a brand new rackable
> hot-swappable ide-raid1 system to do the backups. debian is my OS of

Seems to me you're looking for an Apple XServe. Debian will run fine.
Of course, Darwin will handle amanda fine as well.

alex

--
alex AT posixnap DOT net
Alex J. Avriette, Unix Systems Gladiator