Amanda-Users

RE: Rackable IDE-RAID1 Harddisk Backup System

2003-11-13 11:24:03
Subject: RE: Rackable IDE-RAID1 Harddisk Backup System
From: "Dana Bourgeois" <em-lists AT netgods DOT us>
To: "'R.M. Evers'" <amanda AT hbh-it DOT nl>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:22:36 -0800
OK, so here's a question to follow up.  Rodi is thinking in terms of a
single taper wirting to striped or mirrored disks.  Given my experience
whith a single fast NIC and gzip on the clients, I get a 'tape' write speed
roughly 20 times the the dumper speed.  So the configuration is pretty
reasonable.

But the disk RAID adds cost and complexity unless it is software RAID which
has (small but not infignificant) reliability problems.  Given that 2.4.4
also supports RAIT, has anyone used a RAIT-over-JBOD instead?  If so, please
share how you set it up.

Dana Bourgeois