Amanda-Users

Re: /etc/exclude.gtar is ignored!

2003-11-11 11:35:39
Subject: Re: /etc/exclude.gtar is ignored!
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:32:35 -0500
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:25:31AM +0200, Turgut Kalfaoglu wrote:

> Hi there. I backup a system, and I notice that it complains about 'unusual
> or strange backup result' during the email. These are files I forgot to
> exclude; things like logs, that change during the backup.
> So, I added them to /etc/exclude.gtar which is defined properly in
> amanda.conf in 'server-tar', the exclude.gtar is stored at the client, and
> I am running the client as root (so that it has access to everything), and
> amcheck shows no problems. yet, every day I keep getting complaints about
> the same files; like   ./apache/cgi-bin/openwebmail/etc/sessions/blah has
> changed. well, in exclude.gtar I have:
> ./apache/cgi-bin/openwebmail/etc/sessions
> and I assumed that this should have stopped everything under 'sessions'
> from being backed up?
>
> I checked the wording, in fact, I did cut/paste from the error emails.
> I'm obviously missing something! Can anyone help?

Questions and a possible theory.

1. Is the file "/etc/exclude.gtar" mentioned in your amanda.conf
   with an 'exclude list' or an 'exclude file'?

2. Are any files in /etc/exclude.gtar being excluded?

3. Might your session/* files still being excluded despite the
   strange messages?  I.e. are they listed in the index files?

My reason for question 3 relates to my theory.  Not knowing
the gnutar code, I wonder if it might first notice the change
in the file, print its stderr message, and later realize it
was a file to be excluded and not backup the file anyway?
Just musing!

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)