Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck fails

2003-11-06 11:39:43
Subject: Re: amcheck fails
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:38:23 -0500
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 05:23:20PM +0100, Christoph Brunner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > It appears you have set up an amanda server and several external
> > client systems.  Have you also done the client part of an install
> > on the server?  It does have to be done because when backing up
> > itself, the server responds as a client.
> What do you mean with 'client part'? When i install amanda on a client, i do
> ./configure --without-server, on the server i do only ./configure (with user
> and so) so i thought, without parameters like '--without-server' or
> '--without-client' both client and server will be installed. Isn' it?!

If you have already installed other clients then you must have done
something more than build amdanda and "make install".

There are steps outlined in the docs/INSTALL document specific to
CLIENTS that you must have followed if those other clients are working.
I'm asking if you also followed them for your server.

> > As the messages says selfcheck reported the error, have you
> > looked into the selfcheck debug file, normally in /tmp/amanda,
> > and checked if it has more detail on the error?
>
> The amcheck debug file says:
> ===============================
> amcheck: debug 1 pid 28364 ruid 87 euid 0: start at Thu Nov  6 16:41:58 2003
> amcheck: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.658
> amcheck: pid 28364 finish time Thu Nov  6 16:42:28 2003

I think I asked about the selfcheck file. not the amcheck file.

But to extend this notion, remove or move all the /tmp/amanda
files and run your failing amcheck.  Then scan all the files
newly created in /tmp/amanda for errors.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)