Amanda-Users

Newbie question : controlling Lotus Notes

2003-07-08 03:58:10
Subject: Newbie question : controlling Lotus Notes
From: Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT be
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:54:58 +0200

Hi, all,

I'm new to Amanda; recently I got the assignment of revising a backup strategy.

As I can tell from the script that's executed nightly, first the Lotus Notes server application is being shut down; then the Lotus databases are being copied, the Lotus Notes server app gets restarted, then the amdump is launched (backing up the copies of the files) and when that's finished, the copies of the databases are deleted.
This of course takes care of open files (as far as lotus notes databases is concerned anyway), but the downside is that there are a few gigs of lotus notes data files that are (temporarily) hanging around.
There are a few more servers that are being backed up in the same run, this means that notes would be down too long if I scheduled the backup as "Shutdown notes - backup everything - restart notes. "

My question : Isn't it possible to have more control over the process; say, restart Notes as soon as all its files (as indicated in the configuration) are backed up so that the Notes appserver can already be restarted while the 'rest' of the backup is still running ?
I want to get rid of this 'intermediate' file system copy of the lotus files to another location prior to running the backup.
However, I want to restart the notes appserver as soon as possible.

I hope I have clearly explained my problem and hope someone out there can help me.

( PS The OS is Linux; Suse 7.3; there is only 1 tape drive, so scheduling 2 jobs is not really an option.)

TIA

Bert De Ridder