Amanda-Users

Re: to compress or not to compress ???

2003-07-03 18:07:20
Subject: Re: to compress or not to compress ???
From: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:03:25 -0700

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 at 4:20pm, Michael D. Schleif wrote

Am I right that amrecover is useless *without* an index?

Yep.
No argument about it.
But, I don't keep index files along with the backup image on tape. Before running amrecover, I would run a script to extract and recreate the index files and use them to run amrecover.
Are there any drawbacks to that scheme ???

Also, using only amrestore, is it possible to get at individual
files/directories, or is it only a matter of restoring the entire
dump/tarball?

Yes, depending. If you use dump, you can usually pipe amrestore to 'restore -i', the interactive restore, which will let you pick and choose. If you use tar, you can do a 'tar t' to get a table of contents, and then 'tar x myfile ./mydir/myfile2' to get particular files.