Amanda-Users

Re: to compress or not to compress ???

2003-07-03 14:31:09
Subject: Re: to compress or not to compress ???
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:25:04 -0400
On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 12:17:16PM -0400, Ean Kingston wrote:
> Also, with hardware compression, I know I can restore the tape without having
> to worry about finding the right libraries and programs to do the restore.

True.  But one can work around that by backing up / uncompressed,
and making sure it contains a (possibly statically linked) copy
of gzip.  Hmmm, something to add to my to-do list :-(

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot