Amanda-Users

Re: Staring From Scratch --Installing AManda

2003-07-03 17:51:55
Subject: Re: Staring From Scratch --Installing AManda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:46:17 -0400
On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:07:25PM -0400, Eric Siegerman wrote:

> No.  My personal account is NOT a member of the
> disk/operator/backup/whatever group.  Amanda doesn't *run* as me;
> I did the usual -- created an "amanda" account and configured the
> package with:
>     --with-user=amanda --with-group=<system-dependent-value>
>
> My only question was why people find it useful to "configure
> --many-options; make" Amanda as that user, instead of as
> themselves.

Some of the software will be running as amanda_user.  I prefer to
to do the configure and build as amanda_user so that the PATH and
other environment settings (umask, etc.) are set as they will when
the backups run.  Same for doing the creation of a configuration
directory, amanda.conf, ...  Do them with the same settings things
will run with.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)