Amanda-Users

RE: to compress or not to compress ???

2003-07-03 12:32:14
Subject: RE: to compress or not to compress ???
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Ean Kingston <ean_kingston AT kanetix DOT com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:27:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 at 12:17pm, Ean Kingston wrote

> I Have the opposite viewpoint. I prefer hardware compression. It allows
> me to offload processing required to the tape drive (instead of my
> computers) Since some of my systems (including the backup server itself)
> can be slow, this actually speeds things up for me. Also, with hardware
> compression, I know I can restore the tape without having to worry about
> finding the right libraries and programs to do the restore. Also (AFAIK)
> you can't do remote compression with samba which I use for about half of
> my backups.

It really depends on your data.  I have filesystems which are completely
uncompressable in software (and expand in hardware), and filesystems which
compress to <20% of their original size.  Using software compressions lets
me pick and choose which DLEs get compressed or not.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering