Amanda-Users

Re: to compress or not to compress ???

2003-07-03 17:39:49
Subject: Re: to compress or not to compress ???
From: "Michael D. Schleif" <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:20:57 -0500
Also sprach George Kelbley (Thu 03 Jul 02003 at 02:41:12PM -0600):
> restoring w/o amrestore can be done with dd, gzip, tar, and so on, way
> messy compared to amrecover (or amrestore) but its possible.  That's one
> of the plus's to amanda.
>
> Kurt Yoder wrote:
> >
> > Assuming you're running Linux, all you need is some form of Linux
> > rescue disk. I've got a bunch of Debian installer cd's lying around
> > and have used them for similar purposes before. Probably most Linux
> > installer cd's can be used like this, and I'm quite certain
> > something like Knoppix would include all the utilities anyone would
> > need. Who knows, might even work to restore tapes made with
> > non-Linux amanda servers.
> >
> > BTW, if restoring without an amanda server, doesn't one also need
> > amrestore? The other day I tried restoring an amanda image, and had
> > to run it through amrestore before I could untar it.
> >
> > Eric Siegerman said:
> > >
> > > True.  But one can work around that by backing up / uncompressed,
> > > and making sure it contains a (possibly statically linked) copy
> > > of gzip.  Hmmm, something to add to my to-do list :-(

Am I right that amrecover is useless *without* an index?

Also, using only amrestore, is it possible to get at individual
files/directories, or is it only a matter of restoring the entire
dump/tarball?

I am curious as to a procedure of manually -- without amanda -- viewing
and restoring from amanda-written tapes . . .

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource