Amanda-Users

Re: Re : amrecover : unable to find index

2003-05-16 13:59:06
Subject: Re: Re : amrecover : unable to find index
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:55:51 -0400
On Friday 16 May 2003 11:08 am, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Fri, 16 May 2003 at 7:45am, Gene Heskett wrote

[...]

>> True Joshua, but if I do it as me, then I'm not a member of a
>> group with enough perms, or my $PATH isn't right & not important
>> enough to fix.  Users should be kept that way IMO, which is why
>> I always make myself amanda to do the build.  Less mix_n-match
>> surprises
>
>Ah, that makes sense.  I tend to put all the sbin directories in
> my own $PATH, since I use 'em, so when I ./configure, amanda
> picks up everything it needs.
>
>> that way.  But as you say, thats a matter of personal prefs.  I
>> run myself as root 99% of the time anyway, so the argument is
>> pretty
>
>AGH!  Run away, run away.
>
>I don't trust myself that much.

I've lived to regret it myself, but I've learned that eventually
I've learned something too each time.

>> weak I have to admit.  But, if I should turn my wife loose on
>> this machine, I'll log out and then see if she can do what she
>> needs to do.  But she's pretty illiterate on computers so thats
>> not even a monthly occurance, its one of my "honeydo's" usually.
>>  Heck of a thing to say about a retired school (music) teacher,
>> but its true & she will be the first to admit it.  :-)
>
>You'd better hope you're right.  ;)

Well, this is after all West Virginia, where at the time she
retired, all they had for computers available to the teachers was a
bunch of old packard bell 386's with only 2 floppy drives & 4 megs,
and chances are one of the floppies was suffering from too much
jelly on the disk or worse.  Running dos of course since nobodies
pain threshold includes running w3.11 from floppies.

Not exactly state of the art, nor conducive to actually learning
anything other than howto swear at dos & some word processor from
the 3 dollar table at Big Lots when 45 minutes worth of typeing
goes away.

That situation has now been somewhat addressed, with the hardware
being brought up to about year 2000 el-cheapo standards now.
Meaning its still just a bare bones pentium-II, with maybe 32 megs
of ram and W98 & a way too small hard drive.  To use such as that
to try and teach kids on when they have a 10x more powerfull
machine at home if they have one at home at all is, IMNSHO,
criminal.  They are not doing the kids any favors educationally.

One of the reasons I sometimes think it might do me some good to run
for the school board, but former members always talk me out of it
because the individual board is powerless against the well meaning,
but not always well thought out, and certainly unfunded federal
mandates in place.  By the time you've met the guidelines of the
federal must do's, the local budget is already 15% overcommitted.
The means a RIF until the books balance.  My frustration tolerance
at such a hopeless situation might make me go postal, so I sit it
out.  And feel pity for the kids that have to be taught useing a
hand cranked corn sheller while the nephew up in New York is using
a combine to harvest, wagon and bin for drying, 320 acres of corn a
day.  I've rode shotgun in that air conditioned tractor cab, nice.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: