Amanda-Users

Re: wasted action of taper

2003-05-16 13:51:51
Subject: Re: wasted action of taper
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:49:03 -0400
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 01:25:18PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> One other item that should be considered if taping as soon as the
> chunk is available is done, and that is the relative speed of the
> compressor (usually gzip) compared to the i/o rate of the drive.
> I'd certainly want to avoid the situation where the drive was
> starved for data and quits streaming.  With my relatively slow DDS2
> drive, I doubt it would be a problem, but can "gzip best" spit out
> chunks at 20+mb/sec for some of the latest big drives?  "No way
> josea" would be my first response.  The hardware hasn't gotten that
> fast *yet*.

If I recall, there was to be a "chunksize" param.  If this were set
too small "shoe shining" could be a problem (ie, stream, stop, backup,
resync, start streaming again).

I'd try to avoid it by setting chunksize large.  Say 1GB for my 12 GB
tapes.  I assume that small dumps would not be padded out to the chunksize.
That would let a lot of my level 0's, and nearly all my incrementals
tape without chunking.  Things that were "chunked" would still stream
for a high percentage of the tape.
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)