Amanda-Users

Re: Re : amrecover : unable to find index

2003-05-16 11:11:37
Subject: Re: Re : amrecover : unable to find index
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:08:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 16 May 2003 at 7:45am, Gene Heskett wrote

> >Actually, amanda can be configured and built by anybody.  I always
> > do it as myself.  It's just 'make install' that needs a
> > particular user (root) to do it.
>
> True Joshua, but if I do it as me, then I'm not a member of a group
> with enough perms, or my $PATH isn't right & not important enough
> to fix.  Users should be kept that way IMO, which is why I always
> make myself amanda to do the build.  Less mix_n-match surprises

Ah, that makes sense.  I tend to put all the sbin directories in my own
$PATH, since I use 'em, so when I ./configure, amanda picks up everything
it needs.

> that way.  But as you say, thats a matter of personal prefs.  I run
> myself as root 99% of the time anyway, so the argument is pretty

AGH!  Run away, run away.

I don't trust myself that much.

> weak I have to admit.  But, if I should turn my wife loose on this
> machine, I'll log out and then see if she can do what she needs to
> do.  But she's pretty illiterate on computers so thats not even a
> monthly occurance, its one of my "honeydo's" usually.  Heck of a
> thing to say about a retired school (music) teacher, but its true &
> she will be the first to admit it.  :-)

You'd better hope you're right.  ;)

--
Joshua Baker-LePain