Amanda-Users

Re: Re : amrecover : unable to find index

2003-05-16 11:26:34
Subject: Re: Re : amrecover : unable to find index
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:23:29 -0400
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 07:45:47AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Fri May 16 2003 07:16, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> >On Fri, 16 May 2003 at 6:24am, Gene Heskett wrote
> >
> >> I haven't posted mine for a month or so, and its not too long,
> >> so here goes again, bearing in mind it needs edited for your
> >> devices and IP addresses:
> >> ----------------------------------
> >> #!/bin/sh
> >> # since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
> >> if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
> >>    echo
> >>    echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
> >>    echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user
> >> amanda," echo "but must be installed by user root."
> >
> >Actually, amanda can be configured and built by anybody.  I always
> > do it as myself.  It's just 'make install' that needs a
> > particular user (root) to do it.
>
> True Joshua, but if I do it as me, then I'm not a member of a group
> with enough perms, or my $PATH isn't right & not important enough
> to fix.  Users should be kept that way IMO, which is why I always
> make myself amanda to do the build.

But Gene,
you run things from scripts.  PATHs can be set in scripts too.
In fact, some would argue that they should be reset in the script so
there are no surprises by running unanticipated versions of programs.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)