Amanda-Users

Re: ERROR: carrot: [GNUTAR program not available]

2003-05-15 10:02:56
Subject: Re: ERROR: carrot: [GNUTAR program not available]
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Nigel Barker" <nigelb AT muscat DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 09:59:57 -0400
On Thu May 15 2003 07:08, Nigel Barker wrote:
>Hi
>
>I'm sure that this is more of a solaris 8 thing than Amanda, but
> maybe someone else here has hit the same problem?
>
>Initially, amcheck reported that gnutar and runtar were not
> installed.
>
>I duly copied in runtar, and installed gnutar, but I still get an
> error for gnutar.
>
>bash-2.03$ which tar
>/netapp/packages/mus-local/SunOS/5.8/bin/tar
>bash-2.03$ /netapp/packages/mus-local/SunOS/5.8/bin/tar --version
>tar (GNU tar) 1.12

Ouch, gnutar s/b minimum version of 1.13-19, prefereably 1.13-25,
last time I knew -25 it was on alpha.gnu.org (I think thats the
right address)

>Copyright (C) 1988, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 Free Software
> Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for
> copying conditions.  There is NO warranty; not even for
> MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.
>bash-2.03$
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
>Thanks
>
>Nige

gnutar _must_ be available in your $PATH for the user doing the
amanda build at the time amanda is configured.  And because its
easy to forget the configuration options passed, I always use a
script that does each new version just like the old one I'm about
to overwrite.  Highly recommended, saves ones hair and sanity
later.  :)  I could email you mine if you'd like, or its been
posted a few times here already.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: