Amanda-Users

Re: columm widths in daily mail report

2003-01-30 16:08:47
Subject: Re: columm widths in daily mail report
From: Darin Dugan <dddugan AT iastate DOT edu>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>, Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:16:25 -0600
At 01:33 PM 1/30/2003, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 at 2:16pm, Mitch Collinsworth wrote

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 at 12:47pm, Don Carlton wrote
> >
> > > Has anyone changed the mail report to produce html?
> >
> > Oh, the horror!  ;)
>
> Agreed if sent by e-mail,  but if it were instead dumped into a web-served
> directory...

Well, IMO it's still unnecessary.  Webservers serve out plain text just
fine.

Sometimes I feel like such a curmudgeon.

Agreed. (the first part, not the curmudgeon) But there's a difference between needed features and desired features. HTML formatted reports probably fall into the desired category.

That said, web-based Amanda reports could be useful for those who would rather check a central web site than read yet another piece of mail. My first order of business in the day is to open a central console that fires off to MRTG graphs, big brother reports, a call database, etc. Amanda could be another one of those.

But I'm not certain that this needs to be a part of Amanda either. Anyone could write up a quick perl script to take amreport -f and html-ize it. Stick that in your backup script and be done.

I keep thinking there must be an obvious way to integrate Amanda reports with Big Brother somehow... Have to think on this.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

--