Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda scheduling

2003-01-28 13:34:37
Subject: Re: Amanda scheduling
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:00:16 -0500
On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:20:24AM -0800, John Oliver wrote:
> I don't think I quite grok the way amanda schedules backups.
>
> I had three tapes for the DLT drive, and amanda seemed to be rotating
> through them just fine.  I got five more tapes, labelled them, and added
> them to the rotation.  The first weird thing is, it asked for tape 1,
> then tape 8, then tape 7, then tape 6...  Why can't it stay in order?
>
> Next, ever since adding tapes and adjusting amanda.conf, it seems to
> constantly run out of tape, try to back up too much, etc.  I think I
> need a better understanding of exactly what the various values in
> amanda.conf mean.
>
> Here's what I'm using now:
>
> dumpcycle 4 days
> runspercycle 4
> tapecycle 8 tapes

The ordering 1,2,3 ... is in your mind.  Amanda sees it as First one I saw,
second one I saw, ...  The actual names are immaterial to amanda.

Since you are still early in the game, you could rework the tapelist by hand.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)