Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda scheduling

2003-01-28 14:14:00
Subject: Re: Amanda scheduling
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:28:37 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 at 9:20am, John Oliver wrote

> I had three tapes for the DLT drive, and amanda seemed to be rotating
> through them just fine.  I got five more tapes, labelled them, and added
> them to the rotation.  The first weird thing is, it asked for tape 1,
> then tape 8, then tape 7, then tape 6...  Why can't it stay in order?

And amanda would ask you why can't you stay in order.  ;)

Seriously, amanda doesn't use tapes in numerical order.  It uses them in
the order in which they were first used or, sometimes, relevant to the how
they were labelled.  Search the archives for more on tape usage.  There
are ways to "fix" this, but amanda's idea of order don't have anything to
do with the tape labels.

> Next, ever since adding tapes and adjusting amanda.conf, it seems to
> constantly run out of tape, try to back up too much, etc.  I think I
> need a better understanding of exactly what the various values in
> amanda.conf mean.
>
> Here's what I'm using now:
>
> dumpcycle 4 days

Amanda will get a full backup of every disk list entry (DLE) at least once
every four days.  If you run backups M-Th, Monday is going to be a busy
day...

> runspercycle 4

You'll run amanda 4 times per dumpcycle

> tapecycle 8 tapes