Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda scheduling

2003-01-28 14:26:31
Subject: Re: Amanda scheduling
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:48:33 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 at 10:16am, John Oliver wrote

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:07:21AM -0800, Jay Lessert wrote:
> > It uses tapes in whatever order they appear in tapelist.
> >
> > Amanda doesn't care about your numerical order, the tapes
> > could be named tape_frog, tape_tree, tape_blue, they're
> > all just strings.
> >
> > You can amrmtape, re-label, and hand-edit the tapelist to get
> > what you want.
>
> I can't just re-order the tapelist?

There was a post by John R. Jackson about this recently, with detailed
instructions.  Search the archives.

> > > Here's what I'm using now:
> > >
> > > dumpcycle 4 days
> > > runspercycle 4
> > > tapecycle 8 tapes
> >
> > This looks like an ok minimal config (you always want at least 2X dumpcycle
> > in tapecycle, as you have here).
> >
> > But we need to know what the run schedule is; if you run amdump every
> > every day (7X/week), you will get almost 2 fulls/week (one every 4
> > days, two every 8 days).  Is that what you want?
>
> I run amanda each Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday
> mornings.  I do want to get more tapes, so I have a multiple of 5.

Then your dumpcycle should be 1 week and your runspercycle should be 5.
You'll need more tapes for full redundancy, as mentioned, but you won't
get the busy Tuesday mornings you are now.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering