Amanda-Users

Re: Mystery holding disk issue

2003-01-28 13:45:31
Subject: Re: Mystery holding disk issue
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:58:13 -0500
On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:16:34AM -0800, John Oliver wrote:
> Got this:
>
> These dumps were to tape Indyme007.
> *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on device]].
> Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
> Run amflush to flush them to tape.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: Indyme006.
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   cm         /dev/hda2 lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
>   cm         /dev/hda2 lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

I think something went wrong with dumping this DLE directly to the tape.
I.e. no holding disk was being used.

When that happened amanda went to doing only incrementals but:

>   devdist    /dev/hda2 lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
>   qaweb      /dev/hdc2 lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
>   qadb       /dev/hda2 lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]

Amanda thinks you have no holding disk space available.

> So, I ran amflush, and received this:
>
> *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [rewinding tape: Input/output error].
> Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
> Run amflush again to flush them to tape.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: Indyme006.

Note, in both cases the message said "may" have been left in the
holding disk.  You could make sure yourself with an "ls".

Now, why is there no holding disk.  If really full, or a typo
that would explain why the first DLE was going to tape directly.
If not full, then it may be going to tape because you have the
reserve set to 100% (reserve for incrementals).

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)