Amanda-Users

Re: Fwd: Re: Need help getting started.

2002-11-13 01:31:15
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Need help getting started.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:04:21 -0500
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 04:17:13AM +0000, Eric Webb wrote:
> On Sunday 10 November 2002 07:32 pm, Galen Johnson wrote:
> > Eric Webb wrote:
>
> Yeah, I'm about 90% sure that my problems are with the "dump" program.
> amcheck consistently tells me "DUMP program not available", which is echoed
> by the "sendsize" program's debug log ("sendsize[15363]: time 0.027: no dump
> program available").
>
> I did a make distclean, configure found the path to the dump binary.  "dump"
> that I used was found via search on sourceforge -- dump-0.4b31, which
> compiled and installed into /usr/local/sbin.  I've been browsing sendsize.c
> and it seems that the message I'm getting may be because of the DUMP define
> not beind set (but the #if nesting is losing me at this hour).
>
> configure's output shows "checking for dump... /usr/local/sbin/dump", which
> makes me believe it finds it and sets it, but the line "#define DUMP $dump"
> is never added to confdefs.h during the configure process.

I don't see a confdefs.h on my system, neither 2.4.2 nor 2.4.3b4.  May have
missed it, where is it located.  In both my release trees the "#define DUMP"
line gets added to <amanda_src>/config/config.h.  Do you have that file
and definition?

One way to look at the code with all the #defines made is to compile with the
"stop after the preprocessor" options.  I just tried the following on my system
in the client-src directory and created the intermediate file "sendsize.i".

  rm sendsize.o
  AM_CFLAGS='-E -C' make sendsize.o > sendsize.i

This will have lots of *.h stuff at the start (17000 lines on my system),
but the last 1500 lines or so will be from sendsize.c with #if stuff removed
(left as blank lines) and #define'ed macros substituted by their definitions.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)