Amanda-Users

Re: Need help getting started.

2002-11-10 19:54:59
Subject: Re: Need help getting started.
From: Eric Webb <ttlchaos AT randomc DOT com>
To: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:24:48 -0500
On Sunday 10 November 2002 03:30 pm, Galen Johnson wrote:

> >Still having the issue with the planner.  amcheck claims it can't find the
> >DUMP program, despite it being installed already and detected by amanda's
> >configure (/usr/local/sbin/dump).
> >
> >amdump logs indicate problem getting results back on the estimates.  I
> > presume this is because DUMP isn't being found, though I've tried it as
> > GNUTAR with no luck either.
> >
> >--- log --
> >   FAIL planner alexandria hda3 20021110 0 [missing result for hda3 in
> >alexandria response]
> >-- amdump --
> >   error result for host alexandria disk hda3: missing estimate
> >--
>
> Make sure your path is correct.  If you run as root and su to amanda to
> run the checks, you're only getting root's path. 'su - amanda' and
> 'export $PATH' to verify that you should be seeing the correct path.

I'm running this logged into user "amanda" directly.  The only time root was
involved was at compile/install time.  User "amanda" has /usr/local/bin and
/usr/local/sbin in path.  What specifically is it looking for?

> >Another question:  How do I specify device nodes for filesystems running
> > under LVM in linux?  These are mounted from /dev/vgname/lvname... do I
> > just strip off the /dev and give "vgname/lvname" to Amanda?
>
> what are they mounted to?  Use the mount point itself .

Well, hang on -- I thought you were supposed to supply device nodes, not
filesystem mount points.  All the examples were things like "sda1" which is
the device node minus the "/dev" pathing.

-E.