Amanda-Users

Re: Need help getting started.

2002-11-10 00:43:34
Subject: Re: Need help getting started.
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: ttlchaos AT randomc DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 23:11:36 -0600
--On Saturday, November 09, 2002 23:20:07 -0500 Eric Webb <ttlchaos AT randomc
DOT com> wrote:

> Howdy folks.  To keep it short:
>
> 1) Can someone point me to online docs that I have seen allusions to in the
> archives but haven't found online yet?

www.amanda.org  Useful links near the bottom include the FAQ-O-Matic
(occasionally referred to as the FOM in this group) and "the chapter"
from Unix Backup & Recovery.  Start with "the chapter", it has both
a good overview and a lot of detail.

> 2) amcheck reports the messages below.  Is there a requirement to label tapes
> prior to usage?  The tapes in my changer are used:
>
>    amcheck-server: slot 0: not an amanda tape
>    amcheck-server: slot 1: not an amanda tape
>    amcheck-server: slot 2: not an amanda tape
>    amcheck-server: slot 3: not an amanda tape
>    amcheck-server: slot 4: not an amanda tape
>    ERROR: new tape not found in rack
>           (expecting a new tape)

Yes, you need to label the tapes first before Amanda will
use them (it prevents you from accidently overwriting some
other tape left in the drive).

> 3) If I attempt what I believe to be labelling a tape, I get:
>
>    labeling tape in slot 0 (/dev/nst0):
>    rewinding, reading label, not an amanda tape
>    rewinding, writing label test00
>    amlabel: writing label: tape is write-protected

Tape is write-protected.  Check the write-protect tab on the tape.
An outside possibility is that the Amanda user doesn't have write
permissions on the device, but I think that would give you a
different error.

> 4) My planner is failing and giving up, supposedly because it isn't receiving
> and responses on the estimates.  Shouldn't it calculate these on its own?
> I'm confused about how the estimate system works.

Planner runs on the Amanda server and determines what needs
to be backed up at what level in order to use approximately
the same amount of tape each day while still honoring your
dumpcycle, runspercycle, runtapes, etc.  In order to do that
it collects estimates of how much space would be needed for
different levels of dumps from each client.  Basically, it
does a dump to /dev/null and counts the bytes.  If you have
large filesystems you may need to increase etimeout in your
config.  If there are other problems, post the exact error
messages so the group will be better able to help pinpoint
the problem(s).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com