Amanda-Users

Need help getting started.

2002-11-09 23:51:08
Subject: Need help getting started.
From: Eric Webb <ttlchaos AT randomc DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 23:20:07 -0500
Howdy folks.  To keep it short:

1) Can someone point me to online docs that I have seen allusions to in the
archives but haven't found online yet?

2) amcheck reports the messages below.  Is there a requirement to label tapes
prior to usage?  The tapes in my changer are used:

   amcheck-server: slot 0: not an amanda tape
   amcheck-server: slot 1: not an amanda tape
   amcheck-server: slot 2: not an amanda tape
   amcheck-server: slot 3: not an amanda tape
   amcheck-server: slot 4: not an amanda tape
   ERROR: new tape not found in rack
          (expecting a new tape)

3) If I attempt what I believe to be labelling a tape, I get:

   labeling tape in slot 0 (/dev/nst0):
   rewinding, reading label, not an amanda tape
   rewinding, writing label test00
   amlabel: writing label: tape is write-protected

4) My planner is failing and giving up, supposedly because it isn't receiving
and responses on the estimates.  Shouldn't it calculate these on its own?
I'm confused about how the estimate system works.

Amanda 2.4.3
Linux 2.4.18 / GCC 2.95.3
Adaptec 2940UW and HP 24/48 (DDS-2, 4GB 6-slot internal)
Using chg-scsi

Thanks,
Eric