Amanda-Users

crash recovery

2002-11-11 00:14:39
Subject: crash recovery
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 04:36:12 -0500
Hi everybody;

Its Gene, the old f--- ahhh, man, back from 2 weeks worth of trying
to make a tv station or 4 out of not very much.  Hindered by the
help that I was promised doing a disappearing act to goto a funeral
in texas on the second day, and turning it into 2 weeks vacation.
Damn, I just *love* being thrown to the wolves like that . . .

Unforch, in the process of shutting things down as I was leaving for
the western slopes of colorado, I grabbed the wrong line cord and
did a rather instant powerdown on this machine, something that
appears to be a huge no-no for active ext3 systems.  To be exact,
it totally wrecked /, something I'm not a happy camper over at all.
I was under the impression that ext3 was never in an invalid
condition.  By-by about 30 gigs of data.  fsck reported many
thousands of inodes as invalid.  Bah!

So I fdisk'ed /dev/hda, re-arranged it a bit, formatted and
installed RH8.0, followed by ripping out their KDE and installing
the good KDE-3.0.4, or I woudn't even be doing email as evolution
doesn't seem to like pop servers at all.  It cannot send to one but
can suck from one.  Go figure.

Anyway, the advise on how to recover useing tar & gzip doesn't seem
to want to work.  The only way to get dd to actually write a disk
file is with dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k of=tape.contents.# where the #
is a sequence # extension in /tmp.  And that only works if an 'mt
tell' says its at block 64.

I can probably do a pretty good recovery IF I could figure out how
to keep tar from telling me its "not a tar file, skipping to the
next header".

The worst part is that without any indexes, or a disklist (which
wouldn't be valid now anyway) I've N.D.I. whats been gzipped and
what hasn't.  My disklist was, shall we say, an eclectic mixture.

My dumpcycle was 6 days, so the last 6 tapes should cover me ok.
I'm dd'ing the tapes to the drive, and really should have enough
scratchpad room to pull this off as I'd added another 60 gig drive
just a month back.

Ideas/hints/elevated noses/scorn/tar for dummys messages ?  Proper
tar syntax, etc ... will be very much appreciated.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M