Amanda-Users

Re: Can Amanda put its index on a tape?

2002-09-20 06:01:37
Subject: Re: Can Amanda put its index on a tape?
From: "C R Ritson" <C.R.Ritson AT newcastle.ac DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:45:16 +0100
> This one's in the "possible planned features". I think its under
> "file-0,file-n". If you write the index database at the _end_
> of the tape,
> then its alright. But Amanda's gotta have the facility for
> locking partition
> ordering.

The one bit of an amanda tape that is ALREADY fixed is the 32k tape
trailer label. Could a list be put in there without significant
disruption. Just like the first file, and the first 32k of each dump
file are in part intended for human consumption, I picture putting an
advert in the header file, and a plain text list in the tape trailer.
Simplisticly, I immagine generating this from the log.<date> file that
amanda leaves behind, or from the equivalent of running "amadmin <conf>
export".

I also recommend keeping the amanda catalog information on a partition
that is dumped "always-full".

Chris Ritson