Amanda-Users

Re: Can Amanda put its index on a tape?

2002-09-18 20:47:41
Subject: Re: Can Amanda put its index on a tape?
From: Anthony Valentine <avalentine AT sbsalaska DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 18 Sep 2002 16:36:44 -0800
Having a copy of the previous dump's index at the beginning of the a
tape, along with a utility that reads the tape and generates an index of
the data currently on it would work fine.

Way back when I owned a 486, I had a tape drive (an Eagle Travan if I
remember correctly) that did that.  Since I only had one machine there
wasn't anywhere else to store the index.  I think that it worked quite
well, and saved me from disaster on a few occasions.

My index directory is currently 107MB.  I do currently copy it to
another computer on-site, but it's a little bit too large to e-mail off
site.  Anyway, another computer on-site works fine only so long as the
disaster I am recovering from isn't building-wide, like a fire or
earthquake.

I suppose I could write it to CD and take that off-site, but why should
I need both a tape and CD off-site?

I suppose that if I add my index directory to the disklist as it's own
entry (instead of being nested as it is now), I could write a script to
read the tape and generate an index.  I would then know where on the
tape the old indexes are and could pull them off as well.  That
shouldn't be too difficult.

I think that I will give it a shot when I get some spare time.  Gotta
love OSS.  If it doesn't do what you want, change it so it does!

Anthony

--
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.