Amanda-Users

nice web based frontend

2002-09-19 01:57:05
Subject: nice web based frontend
From: "Neil" <neil-on-amanda AT restricted.dyndns DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:45:15 -0500
Hi guys, My amanda is now up and running. I can backup and restore filesystems now. But there is one thing that I noticed that really brought me to the point where I ask myself "why did it do it?". I was backing up /var and it has only 20 megs only and I got 4gig in my tape. I executed su amanda -c "amdump Daily". Backup went fine. I executed it again, and it was asking me to insert the tape on slot 2, 3, 4 and so on. What do you think about this? Should it just overwrite the earlier backup?
Another one...
I have in amanda crontab that it executes amdump every Saturday, 10pm. Do I need to rewind the tape before amdump backs it up? What I just wanted is to keep overwriting my old Saturday backup since I only have 1 tape for now. Please check out my amanda.conf in http://restricted.dyndns.org/amanda.conf Is it possible with amanda that it is able to backup and restore a whole unix operating system(ex. FreeBSD). The reason I asked this is because of AIX unix backup/restore. It's quite cool. Even the tape was bootable.
So here is what I wanted:
1. Attach a second harddisk on the computer
2. Restore the whole backed up FreeBSD to the second harddisk
3. Remove the second harddisk and connect it to another machine Lastly, as my subject goes, is there any good web-based frontend for Amanda? Thank you guys. Ronneil