Amanda-Users

RE: Can Amanda put its index on a tape?

2002-09-19 05:24:00
Subject: RE: Can Amanda put its index on a tape?
From: "C R Ritson" <C.R.Ritson AT newcastle.ac DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:09:56 +0100
>    Date: 18 Sep 2002 14:29:58 -0800
>    From: Anthony Valentine <avalentine AT sbsalaska DOT com>
>
> Question:  Can Amanda be setup so that it writes a copy of
> it's indexes
> to the beginning of each tape?

>    Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:10:04 +0100
>    From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
> Subject: Re: Can Amanda put its index on a tape?
>

> That'd be a nice feature, but then a lot of things about time
> travel might
> be nice :-) I don't think it can be done in the general case,
> because taping
> will usually have started before the indices would be updated.

Am I right in remembering that amanda has the ability not to start the
backup of a particular machine until a given time? Could this mechanism
be usurped to force a particular backup to be taped last? Another
possibility would be to add to the priority mechanism. I guess this is
really one for the hackers, so I hope they read this list too. It sounds
fairly simple - but so does time travel :-)

Chris Ritson (Computer Officer)

Rm 618, Claremont Bridge,       EMAIL: C.R.Ritson AT newcastle.ac DOT uk
School of Computing Science,    PHONE: +44 191 222 8175
University of Newcastle,        FAX  : +44 191 222 8232
Newcastle on Tyne, UK NE1 7RU.  http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~c.r.ritson/