Amanda-Users

Re: newbie needs help deciphering vauge error message

2002-09-20 06:10:01
Subject: Re: newbie needs help deciphering vauge error message
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 05:52:47 -0400
On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:55:36AM +0100, John P. Looney wrote:
>  Just to followup - it turns out that the package installed all the
> setuid programs as user "bin" (solaris 2.6 package from sunfreeware.com -
> one I recommended to someone on the list!).
>
>  (thanks to Jon LaBadie for point out that /tmp/amanda can have errors in
> there if you stare long enough).
>
>  chowning them to root fixed the problem, and I can now backup remote
> clients.

I was unaware of the SFW package before your mention of it.
Since then I've been in contact with Steve Christian (sp?) who maintains
SFW and I'm going to work with him to enhance the Solaris offerings.

I don't have a Sparc system with which to try things on.  I did note
the pkgmap list showing the bin, not root suid, and planned to mention
that to him.  Glad to see it is a real problem and I would not have been
whistiling in the wind.

Please note any other problems you might have had including the lack of
use/installation instructions.  Or how it might have been better (ex.
should it create the amanda user dir, and a config dir with example
amanda.conf files?).  Personal email might be most appropriate.

I'm going to make a general request for similar info from other who
might have used the SFW package.

>  However, I can't backup the backup server itself. It seems for some
> reason it's never reading the ~amanda/.amandahosts file (ls -lu
> ~amanda/.amandahosts shows the datestamp not changing between running
> amcheck or amdump, and the last time I used "cat" on the file.
>
>  Because amcheck and amdump are setuid root, I can't run truss on them to
> see where it's trying to read it from.
>
>  Is there some way I can find out which directories it's looking for
> .amandahosts ? I've already su'd to the amanda user, and catted this file,
> so amcheck *should* be able to view it.

Ummm, directories in .amandahosts?  That should be a file, not a directory.
I think it should also be owned by amanda_user and permissions 600 otherwise
it is not looked at.  In the file, list the tapehost by fqdn I believe.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)