Amanda-Users

Re: crontab, a bit offtopic

2002-09-11 06:54:58
Subject: Re: crontab, a bit offtopic
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Brian Jonnes <brian AT init.co DOT za>, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 06:40:29 -0400
On Wednesday 11 September 2002 03:55, Brian Jonnes wrote:
>On Tue 10 Sep 02 18:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Don't feel like the lone stranger Brian.  Somebody really
>> *should* write a book on howto use cron.  No denigration of Paul
>> Vixie intended, but the docs (what there is) suck.  But I guess
>> thats
>
>man 5 crontab isn't _too_ bad.
>
>> what we get when a usefull utility gets into the habit because
>> nothing else does the job quite as elegantly, particularly one
>> written back in jurrasic computer times and which is probably
>> old
>
>We should replace it with... Unix Task Scheduler!!! Ha! And you
> have to have a web-browser to configure it.
>
>..Brian

Well, those users of the kde desktop suite do have the choice of
using kcron to configure stuff, and which has the advantage of
showing, if you are root, every cron job on the system.  But it has
one glaringly huge gotcha when trying to setup sequenced operations
that require online access with an autodial script, and that is its
5 minute granularity based on a half a screen full of checkboxes.
If you have already setup something for a 1 minute interval, and try
to edit it, kcron will mung that entry rather nicely.  Not.

Where might a sample of this scheduler with a web interface be seen,
or dl'd?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M