Amanda-Users

Re: crontab

2002-09-09 20:15:35
Subject: Re: crontab
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Chris Bourne" <cbourne AT xapnet DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:59:54 -0400
On Monday 09 September 2002 19:12, Chris Bourne wrote:
>So you are saying that I should do it this way?....

IF the magazine has been changed after the previous run, the first
line is good, and all the second one will do on that day is
exersize the drive a few seconds, the rest of the week that will
take care of the advanceing to the next slot.
>45 13 * * 1    /usr/sbin/amtape DailySet1 reset
>0 14 * * 1-6    /usr/sbin/amcheck -Mmis AT xapnet DOT com DailySet1

You shouldn't need this next one at all.  Amcheck will do it, or
fail, in which case amcheck wil send mis AT xapnet DOT com an email, and
you can hopefully phone them up and advise whats next.  It'll make
you look like your are some sort of a psycic(sp) to the frogs.
>0 1 * * 2-6    /usr/sbin/amtape DailySet1 slot next

And the cleaning, if scheduled at all, would be maybe monthly.
I wouldn't bother scheduling it even if you have to teach a utility
person how to do it when that led on the drive is slowly blinking.
>0 2 * * 0    /usr/sbin/amtape DailySet1 clean

>0 2 * * 1-6    /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1
>
>So after a the first week of backups I put in the second round of
> tapes in and put tape 7 which was not being written to in the
> first slot then run amtape reset? This needs to be as automatic
> as possible because the person changing the tapes knows nothing
> about amanda and I am not always around being that this is a
> client of mine.

But you should be checking your email daily for problems, and have
the ability to ssh into that system to see whats happening.  In the
real world, it pays to instruct the frogs on some of the routine
stuffs.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M