Amanda-Users

???

2002-09-09 17:02:40
Subject: ???
From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:39:29 -0400
Hey folks,

I'm curious about the way amanda backs up. If I'm reading the docs, list and other resources correctly, AMANDA requires at least 1 disklist entry per partition being backed up. It requires that you have a tape per partition (not clear on this point as it would seem to obliviate the need for a non-rewinding device).

Another part of my embattled mind is saying "no, don't be stupid! It requires 1 entry per partition (or directory) in the disklist file but will append the backups as needed to the tape device until it can't put a particilar dump on it. It will then go to the next tape and start the failed dump from the beginning." Which side is right (the wheat or frosted ;-) )? I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this but I suspect it's information overload.

Also, I currently am using a 7 tape changer (which I think I have mtx talking to nicely but with some small eccentricities). I currently have it setup as follows:

dumpcycle 1 week
runspercycle 6
tapecycle 7 tapes
runtapes 1  #I'm thinking of upping this to 2 or 3
tpchanger "chg-scsi"    # not sure about this yet
tapedev "/dev/nst0"
rawtapedev "/dev/null"
changerdev "/dev/sg0"
tapetype EXB-EZ17

where EXB-EZ17 is defined by:

define tapetype EXB-EZ17 {
  comment "just produced by tapetype program"
  length 18600 mbytes
  filemark 623 kbytes
  speed 2137 kps
}

The current plan is to set up the backups to run 1 full per week with incrementals (yes, I know amanda does her own thing). There are currently three 7-tape containers available which I plan to use to allow off-site store for 1 container in rotation. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is running Amanda 2.4.3b3 on a Slackware 8.1 OS using tar (not dump). I configured the build to use /home/amanda/bin/tar (which is currently just a copy of tar but could easily become a wrapper). I followed Gene's advice and made myself a build script (since I found myself building and rebuilding as I came across new material). It's as follows:

#!/bin/sh
# Since I'm always forgetting to build it as the amanda user
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
       echo
       echo "WARNING!!!!"
       echo "AMANDA needs to be configured and built by the amanda user,"
       echo "but must be installed by root."
       echo
       exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --prefix=/home/amanda \
           --libdir=/usr/local/lib/amanda \
           --mandir=/usr/local/man \
           --with-user=amanda \
           --with-group=disk \
           --with-config=daily \
           --with-configdir=/home/amanda/config \
           --with-gnutar=/home/amanda/bin/tar \
           --with-gnutar-listdir=/home/amanda/var \
           --with-changer-device=/dev/sg0 \
           --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
           --with-amandahosts \
           --with-gnu-ld \
           --with-db=db \
           --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg

# Create directories that aren't created by make
if [ ! -d /home/amanda/var ]; then
       mkdir /home/amanda/var
fi

if [ ! -d /home/amanda/config ]; then