Amanda-Users

Re: hi

2002-09-10 12:57:30
Subject: Re: hi
From: woods AT weird DOT com (Greg A. Woods)
To: Dave Sherohman <dsherohman AT westling DOT com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:38:03 -0400 (EDT)
[ On Tuesday, September 10, 2002 at 09:14:54 (-0500), Dave Sherohman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: hi
>
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 03:46:37PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > I beg to differ.  List servers should be no more tolerant of accepting
> > e-mail from known abusers, dial-up/DSL/cable addresses,
>
> ITYM "ISP DHCP pools".  A static IP address is a static IP address,
> regardless of whether the device's uplink is via T1, ISDN, DSL, cable,
> modem, or carrier pigeon.  You can't assume that someone's a spammer
> purely based on their physical connection to the network.

Did I say "static"?  I don't think I said anything about "static IP
addresses."

You can assume someone is not allowed to make outbound SMTP connections
from certain classes of service.  ISPs register their dial-up/DSL/cable
addresses with the various DNSRBLs specifically so third parties can
block their users connections.  Of course an increasing number of ISPs
are simply blocking or proxying all outbound SMTP connections from such
classes of users anyway, which they should have done right from the
start, but until they all do such blocking or proxying it is necessary
for concientious postmasters to block connections from addresses listed
in those DNSRBLs.

> > No, I don't think so.  All postings to un-moderated lists like this
> > should be only from validated subscribers.  Interested users can
> > subscribe just long enough to discuss their issues if they don't want to
> > remain subscribed.
>
> And receive how many dozens/hundreds of unrelated messages from the list
> over the course of a few days while discussing and resolving their issues?
> Sorry, can't agree with you here.

Then they can buy dedicated support from one of the zillions of
independent contractors who support free software like Amanda.

If users want to get free support for free software then they'd damn
well better be prepared to "get involved", even if only for a few days.

Your attitude is B.S.

--
                                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods AT ieee DOT org>;           <woods AT
robohack DOT ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods AT planix DOT com>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods AT
weird DOT com>