Amanda-Users

RE: hi

2002-09-09 13:45:39
Subject: RE: hi
From: "Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM" <MMARTINEZ AT intranet.reeusda DOT gov>
To: "'Jon LaBadie'" <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:29:09 -0400
> I have too much time on my hands.  The list messages are
> saved automatically
> on my system and I just scanned my archive since June 1.
> Total of 2650+ messages.
> I found less than twenty I could easily identify as spam.
>
> That means about 1 per 125 messages, or 1.5 per week for the
> last 3+ months.
> Certainly I could have missed some.
>
> Each of us has different tolerance levels, this is not
> reaching my serious
> irritation point.
>
> Michael, or anyone, are you seeing higher levels than this?

i haven't kept statistics, but it seems to me that there's been something
like one per day, for the past few weeks. The amount has definitely
increased in the past few weeks. prior to that, the amount of spam wasn't
noticeable (I've been subscribed to the list for four or five months)

I didn't save any spams. I'll be on the lookout to see which connecting mail
server is delivering the spam.

> A reason for some of the spam is the open policy of the list.
> I.e., you do not have to subscribe to post.

This may explain the difference in amount of spam, compared to other lists
I'm on, which seem to have very little spam.

-Michael Martinez