Amanda-Users

Re: hi

2002-09-09 09:38:52
Subject: Re: hi
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM" <MMARTINEZ AT intranet.reeusda DOT gov>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:16:49 -0400
On Monday 09 September 2002 08:44, Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM
wrote:
>I really think spam control is necessary here. This mailing list
> is by far the most spammed list I subscribe to (I subscribe to
> about twenty lists). I never receive any spam from most of the
> other lists, but plenty on this one.
>

>I know, I've mentioned this before, and a couple people have
> criticized me for mentioning it. But as an "end-user" of this
> list, I figure why should it be posting so much spam, when other
> lists aren't?
>
>Michael Martinez
>System Administrator
>Information Systems and Technology Management
>CSREES - United States Department of Agriculture
>(202) 720-6223

Huh?  Like most, I use a spam filter with me writing the rules.  So,
since I pack all that crap up and send it to uce AT ftc DOT gov daily,
scanning it for false hits first, I just went thru the collection
since about 22:00 last night.

One piece of spam actually got thru the amanda.org server in 11
hours.  I'm on one mailing list thats probably 75% spam as its been
there since before forever was defined.  I filter it down to 2 or 3
a day that get thru to that folder.

Heck, I'd bet that with your phone number in your sig, the
telemarketers are banging your ringers 10x what they're banging
mine.

In other words, set up a filter rule if it bothers you to get 2
spams a day from a list.  In the real world, this list is about as
quiet spamwise as any of the other 11 I'm subscribed to.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M