Amanda-Users

RE: hi

2002-09-09 15:16:00
Subject: RE: hi
From: "Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM" <MMARTINEZ AT intranet.reeusda DOT gov>
To: "'Brandon D. Valentine'" <bandix AT structbio.vanderbilt DOT edu>, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:05:45 -0400
> Our respective tolerance levels are irrelevant to the issue at hand.
> Spam filtering is the responsibility of the recipient, not an
> intermediary like the Amanda listserv.

I really disagree with that. In the arena of "spam filtering" it's better to
have as many bottlenecks as possible. By allowing a list server to open to
relaying spam, it's like allowing an email server to be open to relaying,
which is generally recognized these days as a bad way to configure your mail
server.

> If the amount of spam on this
> list is too much for you then select a spam filter which fits
> your needs
> and install it.

Listen. The reason I'm bringing this issue up, is because I've got several
lists I'm subscribed to, and most of them have very little or no spam. Plus
the spam on this list seems to be increasing dramatically.

Open lists do invite spam, but
> as I said
> above if that bothers you it's your responsibility to filter it.

I think there should be a concerted effort on the part of the list
administrators as well

MikeM.